Monday, July 6, 2020

Stress Reduction Techniques...VOLUME 1-EXERCISE

In looking back over this two-year journey of striving for, and ultimately attaining, physical wellness, I have realized that achieving mental and emotional wellness is just as important for my overall health as physical wellness.  Maybe even more important.  I thought about it long and hard...what techniques did I frequently use these past two years to help me achieve my goals of diabetes remission, weight loss, and removal of physical and mental health medications?  There were quite a few, actually!  So, instead of writing one blog post brushing lightly and quickly over all the techniques I used, I thought I would go in depth into each technique and break them up into volumes.   The order in which I write about my external supports are not particular.  Just only about what I feel comfortable writing about at this present moment.

Today, the support I feel comfortable writing about is EXERCISE.

I was first introduced to Leslie Sansone and her Walk At Home program back in 1998.  I have been wracking my brain trying to remember where the hell did I buy this VHS tape?  There was no Amazon, no online shopping of any kind at that time.  There was no Walmart in my area.  I cannot, for the life of me, remember where I bought the tape.  But, anyways, I guess that doesn't really matter, in the grand scheme of things.  It was called "One-Mile Super Calorie and Fat Burner with Weights."  Basically, it was walking in place, doing some basic, easy moves, no dancing or jumping around required, and using light hand weights.  I loved the idea that anyone could tailor their workouts to their specific needs.  She kept saying throughout the whole workout (I'm paraphrasing here) "you can't get it wrong", "just go back to walking in place if you don't like any of the moves", "you can still get a great workout without the weights", "it's the beat of the music that gets you fit, not the moves".  This easy-going approach to exercise sucked me right in.  I could get a safe and effective workout in my own home, even at 300 pounds!  I didn't have to drive anywhere!  I didn't have to get all dressed up in little matching spandex outfits, do my hair, put on makeup, and feel like you're on display in a gym.  No competition, no comparison, no seeing your full body image in surrounding mirrors, no embarrassment.  I could workout all four seasons of the year, in any kind of weather!  NO EXCUSES!  It was perfect!

Over the years, I collected a bunch of Leslie's workouts.  I watched them on Exercise TV, I bought them at Walmart.  The old VHS tapes I had I converted to DVD.  I worked my way up to 2-mile, 30 minute workouts every day, which I still do religiously.  There were days I even did 3 or 4-mile workouts, if I had the time.  Sometimes I used weights, sometimes not.  Sometimes, Leslie incorporated other facets of fitness in her DVD's like kickboxing, strength training (lunges, sit-ups, leg-lifts) and jogging.  I experimented with them all and I loved them all!  

Back in April, when I started this blogging adventure, I decided to write an email to Walk At Home and give them my testimony.  I had no expectations...I didn't even expect a response!  But, it still felt good inside to write to them to thank them for the help and support I got from their exercise programs.  Surprisingly, they wrote me back!  They asked me for a before and after picture and my t-shirt size.  I was thrilled, because I thought I was going to get a t-shirt in the mail.  Little did I know, they put my testimony and my before and after pictures on their social media, and sent me a HUGE box of goodies!  DVD's, a water bottle, t-shirts, fitness bands!  They sent a hand-written note, calling me a super-walker!  I was beyond ecstatic! And so grateful!  Through the social media post Walk At Home put up, I ended up meeting a few, really nice ladies who have kept in touch with me, read my blog and kept up with my Instagram and YouTube.  Walk At Home even follows little ole' me on Instagram!  Leslie Sansone is an earth angel.  She has been a life-saver.

Now, I have incorporated Leslie's HIIT training into my repertoire...High-Intensity-Interval-Training.  She sent me two of these DVD's, and I reluctantly gave them a try.  HIIT training consists of short boosts of high-impact exercise, like jogging, jumping jacks, twists, bouncing, etc. followed by slow recovery.  There are about three boosts in a 30-minute period.  It really brings your fitness level up to new heights.  I didn't think I could even do it, but I do it!  Twice a week!  It's hard, but I still manage.  Still, I have to admit, the original 1998 VHS-converted-to-DVD workout it still my favorite one!  I love it when Leslie cracks a joke, or laughs her goofy laugh.  Without fail, she makes me smile, in spite of myself. 

I also am a firm believer in doing a variety of exercise.  Variety keeps your body guessing and adapting.  Different types of exercise helps keep your body from falling into a plateau, or getting a repetitive-motion injury.  Walking outside, using the exercise bike, and hiking are my other favorite forms of exercise.  I go outdoor walking, whether around the cul-de-sac, around the adjoining neighborhood,  through the downtown park, or hiking a trail.  My daughter has joined me in outdoor walks, as well.  Hopefully, a couple of my friends will start taking walks with me, too.  God bless the exercise bike!  It has definitely been an excellent support for me if I have an injury of some sort.  As I mentioned in a past blog post, I'm still healing from a hamstring injury, and the bike has been great therapy for that.  I've also had issues with my left ankle and foot over the years...numerous sprains, and tendontitis.  The bike has been wonderful for therapy and healing of my ankle and foot.  And, just like Walk At Home, you can use the bike all four seasons, in any kind of weather.  

Again, NO EXCUSES!  You just gotta do it!

Well...that's it for today!  The sun is coming out.  I think I'll take a walk over to the pool at my condo complex and do my next stress reduction technique that I will talk about next week...MEDITATION!

Have a wonderful week!

Be a butterfly...🦋











1 comment:

  1. Merci Donna pour vos encouragements!combien avez vous fait de séances de marche avec leslie pour perdre autant de poids?(durée par jour et par semaine).vous êtes un bel exemple.Vous êtes une belle personne.Je vous admire.

    ReplyDelete

Kindly Leave a Comment, Question, or YOUR Story!