Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The End Chapter to My New Beginning...

So...11 months after my diagnosis with Type-2 Diabetes, 3/4/19, I find myself at the office of my PCP for my hbA1c checkup.  My old doctor moved to another practice, so, I had been dealing with a wonderful new set of doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.  Very kind, knowledgeable, reassuring and positive.  In fact, my new senior doctor had told me during one of my visits with him that in 15 years of being in his practice he had never seen anyone turn their health situation around so fast, like I had.  That gave me a sense of pride in myself I hadn't felt in, well, forever!  Anyways, The PA knocked on the door, walked in, sat down in front of me with a slight smile on her face, and told me the news I had only dreamed of hearing for 11 months...

Weight...172 pounds!  Total loss-167 pounds!
AMEN!!!

HbA1c...5.4!

Final diagnosis...TOTAL REMISSION OF TYPE-2 DIABETES!  

I am hereby off of Metformin, Abilify, Prozac.  

I only need to check my sugar once a day.

I only need to visit my nutritionist if I feel I need extra support in the future.  At this point, it was not necessary to go to any more visits.

I am free.

I sat there and cried.  Cried in relief, joy, exhaustion.  I did it.  She told me how proud of she was of me.   I just kept crying...

THE END...

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

It is incredible to me that it took me nine blog entries to get to this moment.  I certainly had a huge amount of baggage to unload, stories to tell, memories to cry over, and people from my past to forgive in the process.  I am well aware that this work will continue on, even after this blog entry.  I still have a lot of untold stories, but there will be more positive stories that will surely come my way.  There will be more memories that will inevitably bubble up only to be processed, and moved on from.  More positive memories, I am sure, will take their place.  There will still be people from my past, and people appearing in my future, that I will need to remember to practice empathy, kindness, gratitude and forgiveness.  But, with practice, comes progress.  I am a work in progress.  I am not perfect.  I know this.   But, in knowing this, I set myself free.   Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon.  A caterpillar no more.  Remembering, however, the inherent beauty of a caterpillar.  All God's creations are beautiful, are worthy, have their own purposes, their own paths to move on.   But, man, is it cool to soar like a butterfly!  I ain't gonna lie!  Feeling the lightness, the freedom from burdens of sickness and obesity.   There is nothing like it.  

I realize I will have to keep fighting the fight.  I will always have to be diligent.  This is my new reality, and I now fully embrace and accept it.  I am done with repeating the mistakes of the past.  I cannot become lax, or all my inner demons will surely knock on my "past" door once again..."KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK! I'm baaack!  Remember me?"  Ohhhh...yeah, I remember you.  But, you can't have me back.  Alice doesn't live here anymore.

Until next week...stay safe and well!

Be a butterfly...🦋

1 comment:

Kindly Leave a Comment, Question, or YOUR Story!