Tuesday, June 2, 2020

My Low-Carb Pandemic Life

In this trying and highly stressful time of the Covid-19 Pandemic, I have to admit, I got caught up in the panic of it all.  Being 53 years old with Type-2 Diabetes, even though the disease was in remission and I was healthy and strong, I realized the virus could potentially knock me out of remission pretty quickly, and possibly lead me into the hospital.  Which, I wanted to avoid at all costs.  In the middle of March, my job as a Substitute Teacher at a prestigious, local day school was put on indefinite hold, and my children were delegated to finishing their last semesters remotely at home.  My daughter was abruptly uprooted from her dorm at her University, leaving behind all the freedoms that comes with dorm life.  Now, she had to readjust quickly to dealing with Mom and Dad's rules.  Highly stressful for all involved.  Meanwhile, my husband's job was still considered essential, my children's part-time jobs in the grocery/coffee shop industries were also considered essential.  Which left me, being non-essential, sequestered in my home.  Although, my condo never was so clean! 

I have come to realize during this Covid-19 scare, that it is extremely important to have internal and external support systems.  Even if the support comes from 6-feet away, texting from 30 miles away, QVC, The Three Stooges, IPhone apps and exercise DVD's .  My husband has a new title..."In-House Chef and Kitchen Manager of Chez' Cross".  During this pandemic fiasco, not only does he work 50 hours a week, but he also goes to the grocery store two, maybe three times a week, and makes sure all the perishable, low-carb foods I need to have on a daily basis is stockpiled.  Including toilet paper, but we wont go there!  He also cooks the meat I need for the week in a 25-year-old crock pot so that I can divvy up my protein for the week.  This has definitely helped me keep track of my stringent nutritional needs.  

As far as physical and mental exercise goes, I walk after dinner and on weekends, to help me keep on track with my strict exercise routine. My daughter has even started taking up walking, an added bonus!  I also make sure I workout to my favorite aerobic in-home walking DVD's every single day, at least two miles daily (thank you, Leslie Sansone)!  I meditate twenty minutes a day using a wonderful guided meditation app I have found, called Headspace.  (Thank you Andy Puddicombe)!  Daily meditation practice has greatly helped me come to terms with, and let go of, past pain, trauma and suffering that surely has enabled my eating disorder, anxiety and depression. 

Which has led me here, to this blog.

I now realize that Type-2 Diabetes, was a powerful gift to me.  A gift to show me my true calling and potential in this lifetime.  Sometimes we need to hit rock-bottom before we realize we ALL have the power within us to make changes for the positive.  I am hopeful the Covid-19 Pandemic will enlighten others to start their own positive journeys.  Maybe, just maybe, I can be of some service.

Have a great week!  
Stay safe and well, as always.
Be kind to others, please.

Be a butterfly...🦋




























































Be a butterfly...🦋

Instagram.com/anewdeliciousdonnacross






















































1 comment:

  1. You do the hard work. I'm honored to help. Wouldn't have it any other way. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Kindly Leave a Comment, Question, or YOUR Story!